Some of the ideas below can be made together with the family. Preparing food from home is a much healthier, giving you control over what goes into your food (e.g. salt, sugar, fats, and other chemical additives). Although some people may not have the time to cook fresh meals every day, it is important to try and prepare fresh meals for ourselves and our loved ones as often as we can and eat together as often as we can, because eating together really does bring people closer, especially the family unit.
All these lunch or supper ideas are very simple and can be made any way you want if you keep the key ingredients. You can get really creative with some of these ideas, so add your favourite spices, herbs, and ingredients to make the recipe your own. Sometimes you don’t need a recipe; you just need to make one yourself.
Lunch or supper ideas:
- Carrot and butternut squash soup and part baked bread rolls
- Carrot and sweet potato soup with naan bread
- Carrot soup with chapatti and lamb kebab rolls
- Chicken and chips with salad
- Chicken pie with chips
- Chicken wings with salad
- Chicken with beetroot salad
- Chicken with spinach and beetroot salad
- Falafel and aubergine wrap
- Falafel wrap with salad
- Fish and chips with mushy peas
- Fish fingers and homemade chips with peas
- Fish finger wrap with chips
- Fresh or tinned fish of your choice with a salad of your choice
- Fresh or tinned fish of your choice with vegetables of your choice
- Fried chicken, potato chips with salad
- Grilled chicken thighs and drumstick with chips and salad
- Homemade chicken, tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise wrap
- Homemade tuna and salad wrap
- Homemade meatballs, potato squares with salad
- Potato chips with chicken and salad
- Quiche with salad
When possible prepare food at home, especially fried foods and other takeaway style foods. If you enjoy eating takeaways, it is always better to try and prepare this type of food yourself. This gives you control over key ingredients such as salt and the oil used.
It’s always fun to attempt to prepare your favourite takeaway food at home, but if you cannot, then you can combine bought foods e.g. pastry, cooked beetroot, quiche or falafel to make things easier.
Plenty of fast foods can be made at home, with simple recipes and ingredients e.g. homemade chicken and lamb kebabs, chicken and chips, fish and chips and they can use shop-bought or homemade marinades. Try to prepare as many food ideas on the list as you can from scratch and see how much fun it can be
Learning how and teaching your children how to be creative with food will teach you and the children how to make a meal out of very few ingredients. Being creative with ingredients will also save you money and time.
When cooking always try and add ingredients such as onions, garlic, fresh or dried herbs and spices and oils such as olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, rapeseed oil, flaxseed oil, and walnut oil all of which add nutritional benefit to your food.
For vegetarians and vegans, you could try Quorn products to replace the meat ingredients.
Know your food allergens when trying new foods Fried foods and foods high in fat should always be eaten in moderation.